What Does a Physical Therapist Do?
Physical therapists examine patients and determine a treatment plan that involves a variety of movement exercises and the use of advanced physical therapy technology.
What Does a Chiropractor Do?
Chiropractor's treat the body through spinal adjustments. Chiropractor's believe these adjustments can improve the functioning of the body in other areas.
How are Physical Therapists and Chiropractors Similar?
Physical therapists and chiropractors both have the same goal; they want to relieve your pain and get you back to doing what you love. Other similarities include:
- They are both doctors- They have been well trained in their area of expertise and are very knowledgeable.
- They use holistic treatment methods- Both of these doctors have a holistic approach to medicine. They want to fix the root of the problem, and they typically won't prescibe you medication.
- They may recommend outside treatment- Their end goal is to help you heal. They may recommend that you get a massage, or other services they can't provide. If you have a serious condition, they may recommend seeking help from a surgeon.
How are Physical Therapists and Chiropractors Different?
The similarities in physical therapists and chiropractors primarily have to do with their end goal for the patient. Even though they may seem similar, they treat patients in completely different ways. Some of these differences include:
- How they treat you- Chiropractors treat patients through spinal manipulation. Physical therapists typically will not do this, unless they are certified to do so. Physical therapists treat patients through a variety of movement exercises.
- What areas they treat- Most of the time, chiropractors treat pain related to the neck and back. Physical therapists can target a specific area in the body that needs to be treated.
- What they prescribe- Physical therapists may prescribe at home exercises as part of your treatment plan. Chiropractors usually will not, but they may give you nutrition advice, or suggest you take supplements.
Should I See a Physical Therapist or a Chiropractor?
Physical therapists and chiropractors can both be a great option when it comes to treating your pain.
If you are recovering from surgery, or suffering from an injury, a physical therapist will be the best option for your recovery.
If you are experiencing neck pain or back pain, a chiropractor may be able to help. Physical therapists are also experts in treating neck and back pain, so it may even be beneficial to see both!
Before you seek the help of a physical therapist or chiropractor, talk to your primary care provider or orthopedic surgeon to see what they recommend for you condition.